Thursday, July 28, 2011

Screening


So, I was thinking today about a character in a movie, and her process of screening potential partners. She would approach them and ask: Are you single? Are you gay? Are you working? Then she would kiss them. No small talk, no asking a million questions, not months and months of "getting to know each other," and then months and months of "really getting to know each other." The important questions asked, the chemistry experienced, and a yes or no within a few seconds of meeting someone. [Lisa Kudrow, in "P.S. I Love You," playing "Denise"]

I recently heard about a friend of a friend (no, really, my friend knows this person), who joined an online dating website, where potential "matches" were created by filling out questionnaires. One of her questions was "Are you sexist?" If the boy answered "no," he was not even considered, if he answered "yes," he was.

With this friend we also talked about hearing stories about companies who would ask in their job applications, "Are you honest?" And if you say "yes," you they won't hire you. Or similar things.

I was thinking today that I kind of like this. This process is potentially is limiting, but it can also potentially cut  a lot of bullshit out of relationships.

What would my screening process be though. That is the question. What is "most important" for me to know when interacting with potential partners?

image

No comments:

Post a Comment