Sunday, September 4, 2011

Conversations

"Text me all day!"

Muttered by one girl to anther. I am perplexed by this statement, but was perplexed by the interaction in general. Artificial, selfish friends who connect with you at their convenience, as long as you are inflating their image and ego.

But we all do this. We want to know people who will make us well known. Who make us in turn more worthwhile to know.

And those who do not add to our weight in this world, we greet with false sincerity, and praise them falsely. We rejoice whe the time for necessary nicities are over, when artificial pleasantries can be halted.

Text me all day. So I am not bored. So I can have something to do. Someone to talk to. Because I can text you as I secretly imagine how I can slap your face mentally. Text me all day so I can find comfort in being a good friend, when all that I care for will never include you. But, the pretense of genuine affection must be maintained. Otherwise, I am the one losing face, and that just will not do!

Text me all day.

Or better yet, don't text at all.

You go your way, I'll go mine.

And we will be all the happier for it.

Both finding what we want and need.

I hate phones. And texting. And things that seem so obviously toxic to me, but are not so apparent to the people involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment